Romania, a captivating country nestled in southeastern Europe, is climbing the ranks as a choice destination for digital nomads. This guide provides a comprehensive overview of residing and working in Romania as a digital nomad. We will delve into the essential details of the Romanian digital nomad visa, the benefits of living in Romania, the cost of living, and the best cities for digital nomads.
The Allure of Romania for Digital Nomads
Romania offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, rich history, and fast internet connectivity. The country is also attractive for its economical cost of living and the introduction of a digital nomad visa. The Romanian digital nomad visa is a significant step towards encouraging remote workers to choose Romania as their base.
Romanian Digital Nomad Visa: Key Information
The Romanian government introduced the Romania digital nomad visa in December 2021. This temporary residence visa is available for remote workers from non-EU countries. The primary aim is to attract over 2,000 digital nomads per year to boost the Romanian economy, especially after the economic decline caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who is Eligible?
The Romanian digital nomad visa is open to international residents who intend to temporarily reside in Romania while working remotely for overseas companies. To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a non-EU/EEA citizen.
- Be employed by a company registered outside Romania.
- Have the ability to perform all work duties remotely.
When applying for the Romanian digital nomad visa, you are required to submit the following documents:
- A valid passport.
- Valid international health insurance.
- Proof of travel arrangements.
- Proof of employment.
- Proof of accommodation in Romania.
- Proof of minimum earning requirement.
- A letter of intent, detailing your stay in Romania and planned activities.
- Proof of remote work.
- A clean criminal record certificate.
- Proof of tax and duties payment.
The documents must be in either jpg, jpeg, png, bmp, rtf, tif, txt, or pdf format, and each document should be less than 2MB.
The Romanian digital nomad visa can be applied online through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs eVisa platform or in person at the nearest Romanian embassy or consulate. The process involves:
- Creating an account on the eVisa portal.
- Completing the required documents checklist.
- Applying for the visa, providing all necessary details, and uploading the supporting documents.
- Paying the application fee.
- Submitting the application and waiting for a decision, which typically takes two weeks.
Visa Validity and Renewal Options
The Romanian digital nomad visa is valid for one year and can be renewed for an additional year.
Cost of Getting the Romanian Digital Nomad Visa
The exact cost of obtaining the digital nomad visa for Romania is yet to be released by the Romanian government. However, it is anticipated to be minimal compared to other countries in the EU.
Minimum Income Requirements
To qualify for Romania’s digital nomad visa, applicants need to meet a gross monthly average salary requirement of €3,700 ($4,000).
Obtaining the Romanian Residence Permit
Upon approval of the digital nomad visa, applicants can travel to Romania. However, they must apply for a residence permit at the local General Inspectorate for Immigration office upon arrival.
Tax Implications for Remote Workers
Digital nomads are not required to pay income tax in Romania as they are considered tax residents in their home countries.
Why Choose Romania as a Digital Nomad Destination?
Romania offers several benefits to digital nomads, which include:
- An easy and quick application process for the digital nomad visa.
- Fast internet, one of the highest speeds globally.
- Tax-free residence for digital nomads who are taxpayers in their home countries.
- Affordable living costs compared to other European nations.
- A plethora of co-working spaces and cafes.
- The English language is widely understood, especially among the younger population.
- A myriad of tourist destinations and delicious cuisines.
Living in Romania as a Digital Nomad
Romania offers an affordable cost of living compared to the rest of Europe. The country has an extensive railway network, with a one-way ticket costing around $0.54. The food is also affordable, with a basic lunch at an inexpensive restaurant costing around $7.1.
Best Cities for Digital Nomads
Romania offers several cities that are well-suited for digital nomads. These include:
- Bucharest: Known as “Little Paris,” Bucharest is the digital hub of Romania, offering a fast-paced city life at affordable costs.
- Timișoara: The third largest city in Romania, Timisoara, is a popular digital nomad destination due to its beautiful old town and large squares.
- Cluj-Napoca: The second largest city in the country, Cluj-Napoca is home to many universities and has a vibrant nightlife.
- Brasov: Formerly known as Transylvania, Brasov is a picturesque location for remote work.
- Constanta: Perfect for beach lovers, Constanta is one of Europe’s largest port cities located on the Black Sea shores.
Co-working Spaces in Romania
Romania offers several digital nomad-friendly co-working spaces across its cities. Some of the best include:
- Cowork Timișoara – The Garden
- Impact Hub Bucharest
- Tomi’s Hub Constanta
- Workify & Workify 2.0
- Command Romana
- Idea Perpetual Hub
- Cluj Cowork
- Devplant Cowork
- TechHub Bucharest
- Flash Office Solutions
Internet Quality in Romania
Romania boasts one of the best internet connections in Europe, with an average download speed of 240 MB/s for fixed internet and 64 MB/s for mobile data.
Romania is a fantastic destination for digital nomads looking for a blend of rich culture, affordable living, and digital connectivity. Whether you choose to base yourself in the bustling capital of Bucharest or the charming cities of Transylvania, Romania’s digital nomad visa makes it an attractive option for remote workers worldwide.