Are you hoping to escape frigid winter temperatures for a vacation full of fun in the sun? Keep in mind that you’ll find the hottest regions in the southern portions of these exciting countries. Here’s our list of the best hot countries in February.
February is one of the best months to visit Thailand. The month marks the end of the dry season, and on most days, the temperature ranges around 30°C. Most travelers head straight to Thailand’s beaches when the weather is cold in their home countries. But if you’re looking for a more urban experience with plenty of activity and culture, spend a few days in Bangkok before heading to the islands. Bangkok’s temperature averages around 29°C during the month of February.
With a whopping 1430 islands, Thailand offers plenty of options for all tastes:
- Eastern seaboard: You can get to Thailand’s eastern seaboard in just a few hours by car from Bangkok, making the area an excellent choice for digital nomads based in Thailand’s capital city. The Rayong and Chon Buri provinces provide plenty of chances to enjoy fresh seafood, go fishing, and check out some local tourist attractions, including the Royal Palace of King Chulalongkorn in Koh Sichang. If you’re more of an outdoorsy person, head straight to one of the Islands in Khao Laem Ya-Mu Samet National Park.
- Cambodian Border: The Trat and Chanthaburi provinces are some of the least touristy islands in Thailand. Ko Chang has the most tourist infrastructure, but the Ko Chang Marine National Park includes 52 islands to explore. While you’re in the area, you may want to head to one of Cambodia’s 61 islands.
- Gulf of Thailand: The country’s most popular islands lie South of Bangkok in the Gulf of Thailand. Ko Samui is the most developed and provides a family-friendly atmosphere. Ko Tao is a peaceful island renowned for its excellent snorkeling and diving opportunities. Ko Pha Ngan’s full moon parties have gotten a bit out of control. However, if you visit during another time of the month, you’ll find a tranquil atmosphere with just enough nightlife to keep you entertained.
- Andaman Coast: Famous for its pristine coral reefs, the Andaman Coast is home to the Chao Ley people. The Chao Ley mostly live as their ancestors have for centuries, but tour companies will be happy to take you on a fishing, snorkeling, or diving expedition around the Ko Surin Islands. If you’re searching for a more secluded beach paradise, visit Ko Phayam, which has a population of only 500.
- Pha Ngan Bay: The islands of Pha Ngan Bay are the destination for most first-time visitors to Thailand. Phuket and Ko Phi Phi abound in all-inclusive resorts, restaurants, and bars. For a slower-paced trip, check out Ao Phang Nga National Park and Ko Yao Noi.
If you want to combine warm temperatures with wild nightlife and endless beaches, it’s time to consider visiting Brazil. If you like it hot, Rio de Janeiro is the place for you! Carnival, samba rhythms, and gorgeous residents abound, and the average temperature stays around 31°C during February.
If you live in North America, Mexico is the obvious choice for a February vacation. The wet season is long gone, the Christmas holiday rush is over, and the Easter tourist season hasn’t begun yet. Here are a few of the best locations to visit in Mexico in February:
- Cancun: Although it can get crowded, Cancun makes for an excellent February trip. The area is close to the eastern US, and you can find inexpensive package deals on resorts and travel. If you’re looking for a more relaxed holiday, head to the nearby islands of Cozumel or Isla Mujeres. You can also get to the digital nomad favorite, Tulum, in just two hours by car or moto.
- Baja California: If you’re coming from the western part of the US, Baja California is a fantastic choice for a February getaway.
- Puerta Vallarta: Puerta Vallarta maintains a springlike temperature all year long and is still full of old-world charm.
- Acapulco: While it’s lost some of its allure from its glory days, Acapulco is still a fine destination to spend a February vacation, especially if you’re looking for an inexpensive, all-inclusive resort.
- The Costa Chica: Located on the Pacific Coast in the southern state of Oaxaca, the Costa Chica encompasses a range of different beaches. Puerto Escondido is Mexico’s surf capital, Zipolite is the country’s only clothing-optional beach, and Huatulco’s nine bays provide much to explore.
Most travelers to India head straight to the beaches of Goa in the winter months. But, if you want to experience a warm Indian environment that’s virtually unspoiled by tourism, try southern Kerala. The area is becoming more popular for its rich local culture and unspoiled natural beauty.
And, if you want to take a break from the southern heat and immerse yourself in India’s Muslim heritage, head north to Rajasthan, where temperatures are less sweltering in February.
There are so many places to visit in the Caribbean. Each island has its own unique culture, and you’ll find everything from luxury resorts to inexpensive hostels.
- The Caymans: The three Cayman Islands offer something for everyone, from families and budget solo travelers to high-rollers and diving fans.
- Jamaica: Jamaica remains popular for its incredible food, unique music, and laid-back vibe. In February, the country offers ideal temperatures, ranging around 25°C. February is Jamaica’s official Reggae Month, so Bob Marley and Peter Tosh fans will be dazzled with some of the country’s best musicians at every turn.
- Antigua: Surrounded by coral reefs and 365 beaches, Antigua is a paradise for snorkeling, diving, sailing, and sport fishing.
- Barbados: A family-friendly island, Barbados is ideal for history buffs, nature lovers, and watersport enthusiasts.
- Anguilla: If you’re looking for a less-populated, authentic Caribbean experience, try Anguilla. The island offers a genuine local vibe, but you can also find a few luxury resorts, golf courses, and 5-star restaurants.
- St. Lucia: St. Lucia offers radically different experiences, depending upon whether you stay in the north or south. The north has a busy port, markets, resorts, and a wealth of nightlife. Nature lovers will find chill accommodations and plenty of hiking trails in St. Lucia’s southern rainforest.
- Cuba: From Havana’s colorful architecture and rich music scene to the incredible landscapes and quaint towns in the Valle de Viñales, Cuba has something for everyone.
The Canary Islands
The volcanic soil of the Canary Islands makes the archipelago an ideal February destination for outdoor types and nature lovers. If you’re looking for a more social scene with abundant nightlife, try Tenerife. Additionally, Grand Canaria remains the favorite Canary Island destination for family vacations, and La Palma features secluded black sand beaches.
Located in West Africa, The Gambia is home to multiple ethnic groups and offers a long coastline to explore. The country also sits along the Gambia River and includes Jufureh village, home of the main character in the critically-acclaimed 1977 miniseries Roots. In February, you’ll enjoy a tropical climate with 10 hours of sunshine per day.
You’ll find Mauritius on the eastern African seaboard. According to Mark Twain, a local told him that “heaven was copied after Mauritius.” The island is rich in natural beauty, including national parks, sandy beaches, and crystal-clear waters. You’ll also have a chance to delve into the island’s diverse culture, featuring African, Indian, Chinese, Dutch, French, and British cuisine, markets, temples, and historical sites.
There are several advantages to visiting Singapore in February. You can find cheap flights and accommodations starting mid-month. The average temperature sits around 27°C with low humidity. Furthermore, Singapore maintains a secure, family-friendly environment with plenty to see and do, including:
- A Bumboat Cruise
- Marina Bay Waterfront
- Little India and Arab Street cuisine
- The Singapore Flyer Observation Wheel
- The Singapore Zoo
- Universal Studios Theme Park
While February is in the middle of the peak season, the Dominican Republic doesn’t see throngs of spring breakers until Carnival time. The turquoise sea and 20-29°C weather make for an ideal escape from cold northern climates. Some of the more popular Dominican Republic destinations include:
- Punta Cana: If you head to the Dominican Republic, you’ll likely be flying to Punta Cana, an excellent place for travelers who want a quick, all-inclusive resort vacation.
- Jarabacoa: If you book accommodations in Jarabacoa, you’ll have access to the country’s Cordillera Central mountains and the highest peak in the Caribbean, Pico Duarte. Get there by flying to Santo Domingo Airport.
- Puerto Plata: Also accessible by flying to Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata features stunning beaches with calm waters that are perfect for swimming and watersports. February is also breeding season for the local humpback whales.
February sits right in the middle of peak tourist season in Sri Lanka, so the country is the perfect place to be if you’re looking for excitement and social interactions. Some of the most popular winter destinations include Mirissa, Hikkaduwa, and Nilaveli beaches. You’ll also get to visit a host of elaborate temples, and Sri Lanka hosts several popular festivals in February.
Hi! I am George and I am the Content Lead for Stasher.com. I love travel, writing, making music and meeting new and interesting people.